Prior to joining the Corporate Advisory team at MMAKS Advocates, Flavia was a senior tax consultant with Deloitte Uganda Limited where she worked for four and a half years, during which period she was seconded to Deloitte Kenya.
Flavia specialises in tax and is routinely involved in advising on corporate restructurings, legal research, preparation of legal briefs and conducting legal due diligences.
Flavia holds a 2nd Upper Class Bachelor’s Degree from Makerere University, a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre and an LLM with Distinction in International Business Law from the University of Liverpool.
She completed the International Introduction to Securities and Investment offered by the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment. She is a student of the Advanced Diploma in International Tax where she completed the first level of Principles in International Tax. Flavia has in the past been seconded to Anjarwalla & Khanna in Nairobi.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate of the High Court
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East African Law Society
- LLM, University of Liverpool
- Dip LP, Law Development Centre
- LL.B (Hons.), Makerere University
- 2019 to date Principal Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2016 - 2019 Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2014 - 2016 Tax Consultant, Deloitte Uganda Limited
- 2011 – 2014 Tax Associate, Deloitte Uganda Limited
- 2011 Clerkship, J.B. Byamugisha Advocates
areas of expertise
- Corporate M&A
- Capital Markets
- Energy, Natural and Renewable Resources
- Corporate Advisory
awards & accolades
- Hodgson Law Scholarship, University of Liverpool
- Overall best student at the Post Graduate Bar Course, Law Development Centre
- Advising Leapfrog Strategic African Investments, LP, a private equity fund on its proposed acquisition of part of the majority stake in ICEA Lion Group, a leading East African insurance, asset management and investment services group. It included conducting legal due diligences on three companies ICEA Lion Asset Management (U) Limited, ICEA Life Asset Company Limited (Uganda), and ICEA General Insurance Company Limited (Uganda), the Ugandan subsidiaries of the ICEA Lion Group and advising on the regulatory landscape for insurance and asset management in Uganda including all applicable statutory, and contractual consents, permit and approvals required for the transaction.
- Advising TPG Growth III LP, a private equity firm that specialises in small to middle-market growth equity in connection with its proposed acquisition of a 45% stake in Azam Television Group, a satellite, Direct-To-Home (DTH), pay television provider with a Ugandan subsidiary called Azam Media (U) Limited. The transaction involved an internal restructuring through the transfer of shares in Azam Media (U) Limited to an offshore holding company that would have a majority stake in Azam Media (U) Limited. TPG Growth III LP would then acquire 45% of the shares in the Holdco.
- Advising Arise BV, a private equity firm specializing in small and medium enterprises in middle market, later stage, mature, turnaround, emerging growth, industry consolidation, recapitalizations, buyout, and growth capital investments on its acquisition of shares held by Rabo Development B.V. and NorFinance AS in dfcu Limited, a company listed on the Uganda Securities Exchange and the sole shareholder of dfcu Bank Limited. I advised on the viability of the transaction and the requisite approvals from the Bank of Uganda and the Capital Markets Authority.
- Advising Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij Voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V (FMO), in respect of the divesture of its interests in Bank of Africa Uganda Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Bank of Africa Group SA. The transaction involves advising on the transfer of shares in Bank of Africa Uganda Limited including obtaining various consents from the Central Bank and also advising on the application of the recently domesticated Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa treaty in Uganda. The transaction is now at closing stage.
- Advising Siginon Group Limited, an integrated end to end logistics and air cargo solutions provider based in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda on its proposed acquisition of a 45% stake in Mahathi Infra (Uganda Limited), a special purpose vehicle set up to engage in the transportation of fuel in barges on Lake Victoria. Advising Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe (Europe) LLP, an English law firm advising TPG Global LLC, a USA based private investment firm in connection with a proposed acquisition of a minority stake in a Mauritian holding company of Cellulant Group.
- Advising AfricInvest III, a special purpose vehicle (SPV) managed by AfricInvest Capital Partners Management II, a private equity firm in connection with its acquisition of a 14.3% stake in Britam Holdings Limited, a publicly listed Kenyan company which holds shares in two Ugandan subsidiaries (Britam Insurance Company Uganda Limited and Britam Asset Managers Company (Uganda) Limited).
- Advising a government agency on the regulatory framework applicable to a proposed Public Private Partnership for the construction of a highway in Kampala, funded by the IFC. Our advice covers a cross section of regulatory issues including but not limited to procurement of contracts with the government, environment matters, employment and immigration matters, finance and tax, etc.
- Advising Tullow Oil Plc on the legality and enforceability of the production sharing agreements and joint operating agreements it signed with the Government of Uganda.