Norman is an Associate with the Corporate Advisory team. He specialises in private equity transactions, capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, insolvency, projects, infrastructure and general corporate and commercial advisory across sectors including and not limited to energy, mining, insurance, communications, gaming and betting.
He is routinely engaged in advising on and attending to the establishment of investment vehicles and non-governmental organisations/charities. Norman has vast experience in due diligences on companies, reviews of commercial and operational agreements, preparation of legal opinions and advising on joint venture transactions.
Norman holds a 2nd Upper Class (Hons) Bachelor’s degree from Uganda Christian University, Mukono and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- 2014– 2015 Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre (Uganda
- 2010– 2014 LL.B (Hons.), Uganda Christian University
- 2019 – Date: Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2016 –2018: Legal Assistant, MMAKS Advocates
- January – April 2016: Legal Trainee, Kampala Associated Advocates
- April – June 2015: Clerkship, MMAKS Advocates
- June 2013: Internship, MMAKS Advocates
areas of expertise
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Corporate & Project Finance
- Gaming & Betting
- General Corporate/ Commercial Advisory
awards & accolades
- President – Old Budonians’ University Chapter
- Dean’s Merit List, Uganda Christian University, Mukono
- Advising on a transaction that involved the acquisition of a stake in a company that provides on demand motorcycle ride hailing services through an online application in Uganda. The transaction involved conducting a comprehensive due diligence on the target and advising on the regulatory landscape for the conduct of an online motorcycle hailing business, including approvals required for the transaction, the process, documents, timing and cost involved.
- Assisting on a transaction that involved the acquisition of a majority stake in a microfinance institution in Uganda. The transaction involved advising on the transfer of the business, conducting due diligences on the targets, advising on the regulatory landscape for the conduct of a microfinance business in Uganda and advising on all the applicable statutory, and contractual consents, permits and approvals required to effect the transaction.
- Assisting on a transaction involving a leading communications company in Uganda, on the proposed acquisition of a majority stake by Dentsu Aegis Network, a multinational media and digital marketing communications company headquartered in London
- Advising on a transaction that involved the divesture of a majority shareholder’s interest in an entity holding the national lottery licence business in Uganda. The transaction involved attending to a sale of a sports betting business as a going concern.
- Assisting on a transaction involving a leading gaming company in Europe, on its proposed acquisition (through an SPV) of majority shares in an entity holding the national lottery business in Uganda.
- Advising the Embassy of the United States of America in Kampala on real estate matters.
- Advising and attending to the establishment of a Mauritian private equity firm in Uganda.
- Advising the majority shareholder in a gold mining company in Uganda on a shareholders’ dispute worth approximately USD 500,000.
- Advising a leading Kenyan gaming company that operates both online and mobile based lottery and gaming services in Kenya on a transaction that involved the launching of lottery and gaming products in Uganda.
- Advising Ssanga Courts Uganda Limited on the establishment and management of a multi-million condominium development in Kampala.
- Attending to the winding up and liquidation of various local and foreign companies.
- Acting for the major creditors in the Administration of Uganda Telecom Limited and Afrimax Uganda Limited trading as Vodafone Uganda.
- Setting up and attending to obtaining licences for the biggest online ticketing company in Uganda with operations in various countries