Norman is a legal assistant with the Corporate Advisory team.
He is routinely engaged in company registrations, legal research, due diligence on companies, reviews of commercial and operational agreements, preparation of legal opinions, winding of local and foreign companies and provides support on private equity transactions, mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings across sectors including and not limited to Energy, Mining, Insurance, Communications, Gaming and Betting.
Norman holds a 2nd Upper Class Bachelor’s Degree from Uganda Christian University, Mukono.
Membership in Professional Societies
- Law Society of Uganda
- Law Society of East Africa
- 2017 Admitted to the Ugandan bar
- 2015 Dip LP, Law Development Centre
- 2014 LL.B (Hons.), Uganda Christian University
- April 2016 to date: Legal Assistant, MMAKS Advocates
- January – April 2016: Legal Trainee, Kampala Associated Advocates
- April – June 2015: Clerkship, MMAKS Advocates
- June 2013: Internship, MMAKS Advocates
Areas Of Expertise
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Corporate & Project Finance
- Gaming & Betting
- Non Governmental Organisations
- General Corporate / Commercial Advisory
- Assisting on a transaction involving a leading communications company in Uganda, on the proposed acquisition of a majority stake by Dentsu Aegis Network, a multinational media and digital marketing communications company headquartered in London.
- Assisting on a transaction involving a leading gaming company in Europe, on its proposed acquisition (through an SPV) of majority shares in an entity holding the national lottery business in Uganda.
- Advising on a transaction involving the financing of USD 12.3 million to a local company for the construction of a solar power plant in Uganda. This involved conducting a due diligence on the Borrower and advising on the corporate authorisations required under the project.
- Currently acting for several creditors with claims of approximately USD 69 million in respect of a Ugandan company in the telecommunication industry that has been placed under administration.
- Assisting on a transaction involving the development and managment of the first Economic Free Zone in Uganda, including the preparation of operational agreements for key stakeholders.
- Advising the Embassy of the United States of America in Kampala on real estate matters.
- Assisting with the set up in Uganda of a multi national private equity firm that is based in Mauritius.
- Advising the majority shareholder in a gold mining company in Uganda on a shareholders dispute worth approximately USD 500,000.
- Currently advising on a transaction that involves the divesture of a majority shareholder’s interest in an entity holding the national licence business in Uganda
- Drafting commercial, operational and service agreements for local property developers and private equity firms.
- Drafting various opinions to both local and foreign clients on various regulatory issues including and not limited to setting up business in Uganda and the investment regulatory regime in Uganda.
- Attending to immigration facilities for various local and foreign clients