Timothy is an Associate with the firm and works with the Litigation Team. He holds an LL.B (Hons.) degree from Makerere University and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre. Timothy is mainly involved in Commercial litigation.
He is a practicing Advocate of the High Court and a member of the Uganda Law Society and the East African Law Society.
Timothy is interested in sports, specifically football. He has a keen interest the things of God and in public speaking. Timothy is a fast-rising star in the Corporate Commercial Litigation field.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- 2013 Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre (Uganda)
- 2012 LL.B (Hons.), Makerere University
- 2015 to date Associate, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
- 2013 to 2015 Legal Assistant, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
areas of expertise
- General Litigation
- Banking Litigation
- Corporate Commercial Law
- Tax Litigation
- Family Law
- Arbitration and Mediation
awards & accolades
February 2018: CERTIFICATE OF PARTICIPATION IN WEBBER WENTZEL LITIGATION ASSOCIATE FOUNDATION PROGRAMME
- Acting successfully as Junior Counsel for individual guarantors in a High Court Suit against them by Citibank Uganda Limited in which Citibank sought the recovery of a loan sum and interest on loan facilities which were proved to have been misapplied through a fraudulent conspiracy between a bank officer and a director of the borrowing company. The guarantors were successfully defended from liability of the total sum of about USD 9,400,000 which was the sum found to be due to Citibank by the borrowing Company as at the date of Judgment.
- Acting successfully for Crane Bank Limited in a Supreme Court Appeal seeking to set aside an award of US$ 1,530,000 in damages for fraud in the sale of mortgaged property made by the Court of Appeal. The Appeal was allowed with costs to the Bank in the Supreme Court and all the lower Courts.
- Acting successfully for Barclays Bank of Uganda Limited in an Appeal in the Court of Appeal seeking to overturn the decision of the High Court dismissing an Application to set aside a Consent Judgment where the Appellant had consented to repayment of a loan debt sum. The Court of Appeal dismissed the Appeal and confirmed that the Appellant was indebted to Barclays Bank of Uganda Limited in the sum of over USD 20,000,000 by the date of Judgment.
- Acting successfully for the Central Bank of Uganda in defending a suit against it for breach of copyright through the use of a monument based on the Plaintiff’s sculpture on the face of the Ug. Shs. 20,000/= note for which the Plaintiff sought general damages of Ug. Shs. 1,000,000,000/= for the Ug. Shs. 20,000/= note and this could have resulted in a potential liability in excess of Ug. Shs. 6,000,000,000/= in respect of the monuments appearing on other Ugandan currency notes.
- Acting successfully for Diageo Brand B.V. in a suit obtaining order against infringement and passing off of its Johnnie Walker Black Label brand.
- Acting successfully for Centenary Bank Ltd, East African Development Bank, Harveen Gadhoke, George Opiyo, Mukono Industries (U) Limited and Hussein Muhammed in defending a suit seeking special damages of Ug. Shs. 32,430,499,381/= for, among others, breach of loan facility contracts and fraud in sale of mortgaged property. The suit was dismissed with costs and an award of US$ 3,432,744 was made in favour of the Defendant Banks as the loan sum due.
- Acting successfully for Stanbic Bank of Uganda Limited in defending suit against it for breach of loan facility contracts seeking special damages of Ug. Shs. 50,874,971,450/=. The suit was dismissed with costs and a total award of Ug. Shs. 957,659,987/= plus interest was made in favour of the Bank.
- Acting successfully for a three (3) time Chief Justice of Uganda in a suit filed against the Red Pepper Publications Limited for defamation. The Plaintiff was awarded damages of up to Ug. Shs. 425,000,000/= being the largest sum awarded in a defamation suit by a Uganda court.
- Acting successfully for Uganda Breweries Limited in a suit filed against it by twenty-four (24) former employees on the basis that their employment was unlawfully terminated wherein they seek, among other remedies, damages worth a total sum of Ug. Shs. 4,800,000,000/=.
- Acting successfully for Barclays Bank of Uganda Limited in an Appeal in the Supreme Court seeking to overturn the decision of the High Court and Court of Appeal dismissing an Application to set aside a Consent Judgment where the Appellant had consented to repayment of a loan debt sum. The Court of Appeal dismissed the Appeal and confirmed that the Appellant was indebted to Barclays Bank of Uganda Limited in the sum of about USD 20,000,000 by the date of Judgment. This is one of the largest exposures for our client.