Stephen is a Partner in the firm’s Litigation Team. He holds an LL.B (Hons) Degree from Makerere University, a Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre and a Diploma in Trial Advocacy from the National Institute of Trial Advocacy.
Stephen was admitted to the Uganda Bar in January 2006. He specialises in Commercial Litigation, Debt Recovery, Real Estate, Property, and Tax Law.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Diploma in Trial Advocacy, National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- LL.B (Hons.), Makerere University, Uganda
- 2015 - DATE Partner, MMAKS Advocates
- 2010 - 2015 Senior Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2006 - 2010 Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2005 - 2006 Legal Assistant, Adriko & Karugaba Advocates
- 2005 Clerkship, Mugerwa & Masembe Advocates
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Commercial Litigation
- Debt Recovery
- Real Estate
- Property, Tax Law and NGOs
- Acting for Absa Bank, Diamond Trust Bank (U) Limited and Stanbic Bank in a number of corporate recovery matters.
- Acting for various entities in Africa in the recovery of both secured and unsecured debts.
- Representing clients in various tax disputes, at different levels including the Tax Appeals Tribunal.
- Acting for the Central Bank in a suit involving fraudulent acquisition and conveyance of securities encumbered by the plaintiff to secure a debt facility of U$ 20million.
- Advising clients on various aspects of the Condominium Law and setting up several condominium projects in Uganda.
- Acting for a seed company in the acquisition of various properties worth U$3,000,000 in Uganda.
- Advising several clients on various aspects of the Land Tenure system in the country.
- Advising several NGOs on various aspects of Ugandan Law, with specific reference to setting up in Uganda, country agreements and employment contracts.