Norman is an Associate with the Corporate Advisory team. He has a broad and well-established corporate practice ranging from advising both domestic and international clients on a variety of transactions, including M&A and private equity transactions, to capital markets, corporate restructurings, insolvency, projects & infrastructure, and general corporate and commercial advisory across a range of sectors including and not limited to energy, mining, insurance, communications, and gaming and betting. He also routinely advises businesses on data protection and privacy related issues.
With over 5 years’ experience, Norman has amassed invaluable experience from exposure to different markets through trainings and secondment at top-tier law firms in South Africa and Kenya.
Norman has vast experience in conducting due diligences on companies, drafting and reviewing of commercial and operational agreements, preparing legal opinions, setting up investment vehicles and advising on joint venture transactions.
He also has extensive knowledge and a deep understanding of charities/Non-Governmental Organisations from routinely providing practical and commercially astute advice relating to their establishment, governance and compliance as well as providing legal support and advice on their operations.
Norman holds an Upper-Second Class LL.B (Hons) degree from Uganda Christian University, Mukono and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre (Uganda)
- LL.B (Hons.), Uganda Christian University
- 2019 - DATE Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2016 -2018 Legal Assistant, MMAKS Advocates
- JAN 2016 - APR 2016 Legal Trainee, Kampala Associated Advocates
- APR 2015 - JUN 2015 Clerkship, MMAKS Advocates
- JUN 2013 Internship, MMAKS Advocates
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Corporate & Project Finance
- Gaming & Betting
- Data Protection and Privacy
- Non-Governmental Organisations and/or Charities
- General Corporate/ Commercial Advisory
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- Dean’s Merit List, Uganda Christian University, Mukono
- President – Old Budonians’ University Chapter
- Advising an FTSE 100 company, that is one of the world’s largest sports betting and gaming groups operating in the online and retail sector on the acquisition of a stake in a sports betting and gaming company in Uganda. The transaction involved conducting a comprehensive legal due diligence on the operations and existing corporate status of the target company, advising on the regulatory environment for gaming and betting business in Uganda, and reviewing the transaction agreements.
- Advising on a transaction that involved the acquisition of a majority stake in a microfinance institution in Uganda. The transaction involved advising on the share acquisition, conducting due diligences on the targets, advising on the regulatory landscape for the conduct of a microfinance business in Uganda and advising on all the applicable statutory, and contractual consents, permits and approvals required to effect the transaction.
- Advising on a transaction that involved the acquisition of a stake in a company that provides on demand motorcycle ride hailing services through an online application in Uganda. The transaction involved conducting a comprehensive due diligence on the target and advising on the regulatory landscape for the conduct of an online motorcycle hailing business, including approvals required for the transaction, the process, documents, timing and cost involved.
- Assisting on a transaction involving a leading communications company in Uganda, on the proposed acquisition of a majority stake by Dentsu Aegis Network, a multinational media and digital marketing communications company headquartered in London.
- Advising on a transaction that involved the divesture of a majority shareholder’s interest in an entity holding the national lottery licence business in Uganda. The transaction involved attending to a sale of a sports betting business as a going concern.
- Assisting on a transaction involving a leading gaming company in Europe, on its proposed acquisition (through an SPV) of majority shares in an entity holding the national lottery business in Uganda.
- Advising the Embassy of the United States of America in Kampala on real estate matters.
- Advising and attending to the establishment of a Mauritian private equity firm in Uganda.
- Advising the majority shareholder in a gold mining company in Uganda on a shareholders’ dispute worth approximately USD 500,000.
- Advising a leading Kenyan gaming company that operates both online and mobile based lottery and gaming services in Kenya on a transaction that involved the launching of lottery and gaming products in Uganda.
- Advising Ssanga Courts Uganda Limited on the establishment and management of a multi-million condominium development in Kampala.
- Advising a property developer on the establishment and management of a multi-million condominium development in Kololo. The transaction involved structuring and negotiating the joint venture and related agreements.
- Attending to the winding up and liquidation of various local and foreign companies.
- Acting for the major creditors in the Administration of Uganda Telecom Limited and Afrimax Uganda Limited trading as Vodafone Uganda.
- Setting up and attending to obtaining licences for the biggest online ticketing company in Uganda with operations in various countries.
- Advising several domestic and international entities on Ugandan data protection laws, compliance and the applicability to their operations.