Moses Jurua Adriko
Moses is a Partner at MMAKS and co-head of the firm’s Litigation team.
His practice focuses mainly on corporate and commercial law, civil litigation, intellectual property, and international criminal law.
Moses is a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of England and Wales and holds an LL.B (Hons) degree from the University of East Anglia. He also has a Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre.
Moses is a past president of the Uganda Law Society and chaired the African Forum of the International Bar Association (the “IBA”). He is a certified adjudicator accredited by the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration and has served on the IBA Human Rights Institute as a Council Member.
Moses has served as a member of the Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets Appeals Tribunal (PPDA Tribunal) and of the Transitional Justice Issues Committee of the Government of Uganda. He also served as a Non-Executive Director of Standard Chartered Bank (U) Limited. Moses is the current Chairman of Sanlam General Insurance (U) Limited, as well as Chairman of Standard Chartered Bank Provident Fund.
MEMBERSHIPS in proffesional societies
Member, Uganda Law Society
Member, East Africa Law Society
Certified Adjudicator, Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration
Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
Advocate, High Court of Uganda
Solicitor, Supreme Court of England and Wales
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- Legal Practice Course, College of Law, Guildford, Surrey, England
- LL.B, University of East Anglia, England
- 2005 – DATE Partner, MMAKS Advocates
- 2001 – 2005 Partner, Adriko & Karugaba Advocates
- Associate, Katera & Kagumire Advocates, Uganda
- Trainee Solicitor, Luper Partnership, Camden, England
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
International Criminal Law and Civil Litigation
APPOINTMENTS AND ACCOLADES
- Appointed as a member of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA).
- Appointed to the List of Counsel of the International Criminal Court at The Hague.
- Recognised by The Global Leading Lawyers directory as one of the top ranked dispute resolution specialists in Uganda.
- Acted as arbitrator in general ad hoc United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) tribunals on various commercial disputes. • Acted as panel member of the Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets Appeals Tribunal (PPDA) on various complex multi-million-dollar disputes involving public procurement disputes and appeals from the Procurement Authority.
- Successfully defended an international construction company against a claim of US$ 1 million by a subcontractor in arbitration proceedings before the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- Acting for Uganda Breweries Limited in a complex tax dispute with the Uganda Revenue Authority involving the application of the East African Community Customs Management Act.
- Acting for Diageo in a suit obtaining an order against the infringement of the Johnnie Walker Black Label brand.
- Acting against the Attorney General of Uganda to successfully recover compensation in the sum of US$ 2 million on behalf of a client whose property was expropriated.
- Acted as Rule 74 Counsel in various matters before the International Criminal Court at The Hague.