Mathias Victor Ssekatawa
Mathias has a wealth of experience in intellectual property, litigation, conveyancing and criminal law. He specializes in trademark filings, renewals, assignments, anti-counterfeiting and intellectual property litigation matters.
Mathias holds an LL.M from the University of London and an LL.B (Hons) from Makerere University in Uganda. He is a prominent member of a number of professional bodies, including The Institute of Advanced Legal Studies in London and The International Trademarks Association (INTA), where he has recently been appointed onto the Anti-Counterfeiting sub-committee. Mathias is a member of the Intellectual Property Registry User’s committee, set up to improve service delivery in the Registry of Intellectual Property, and also chaired the Uganda Law Society committee set up to advise on the revision of the Trademarks Law in Uganda, leading to the New Trademarks Act of 2010.
Mathias has been appointed a board member of Uganda’s National Examinations Board (UNEB) and is an external Examiner at the Law Development Centre in Uganda. He is a practicing Advocate of the High Court of Uganda a member of the Uganda Law Society and the East African Law Society.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East African Law Society
- Member, URSB IP Directorate Users’ Forum
- Member, Uganda Law Society Intellectual Property Law Cluster
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- LL.M (Corporate and Commercial Law), University of London, England
- LL.B (Hons), Makerere University, Uganda
- 2005 - DATE Partner, MMAKS Advocates
- 2001 - 2005 Partner, Mugerwa & Masembe Advocates
- 1996 - 2001 Associate, Mugerwa & Masembe Advocates
areas of expertise
- Intellectual Property
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Real Estate, Property and Construction
- Succession and Wills
- Acted for Marvel Characters, Inc., a renowned entertainment company in a trademark opposition matter regarding their well-known X-MEN brand.
- Acted for Cipla Quality Chemical Industries Ltd, a multinational pharmaceutical company in a trademark opposition matter, regarding their EFAVIR trademark.
- Acted for Total SA, a multinational oil and gas company in a trademark opposition matter, regarding their Effimax trademark.
- Acted for World Wrestling Entertainment Inc., a media and entertainment company in a trademark opposition matter regarding their well-known WWE trademark.
- Acted for NBA Properties Inc. in a trademark opposition regarding their Chicago Bulls trademark.
- Acted for Wal-Mart Stores Inc., a multinational retail corporation, in a trademark infringement and passing off suit regarding their Wal-Mart brand.
- Acted for the Chevron Corporation, a multinational energy company, in a trademark cancellation regarding their Delo and Havoline engine oil trademarks.
- Acted for Colgate Palmolive a consumer products company, in a trademark infringement and passing off matter regarding their well-known COLGATE brand.
- Acting for Beiersdorf Ag, a multinational personal care company in trademark opposition, infringement and passing off matters regarding their well-known NIVEA brand.
- Acting for Weetabix Ltd, a multinational food processing company in trademark infringement and passing off matter regarding their well-known WEETABIX brand.
- Acting for Nintendo Co. Ltd, a multinational consumer electronics and video game company in a trademark opposition matter regarding their well-known POKÉMON trademark.
- Acting for DC Comics Inc., a renowned comic book publishing company in a trademark cancellation and removal matter regarding their famous comics and well-known SUPERMAN brand.
- Acting for Liberty Group Limited, a multinational insurance, property and financial services company in a trademark opposition matter regarding their primary and well-known LIBERTY trademark.
- Acting for Monster Energy Company, a multinational non-alcoholic beverages company in a trademark opposition matter regarding their renowned M Claw trademark.
- Acting for WM Wrigley Jr. Company, a chewing gum company in a trademark cancellation and removal matter regarding their well-known Big G trademark.
- Acting for Centenary Rural Development Bank in a copyright infringement suit regarding their corporate logo and registered trademark.
- Acting for Africa FM Ltd in a trademark opposition matter regarding their renowned Ekigunda Kyo’Mwaka trademark.
- Acting for Uganda National Bureau of Standards as retained external Counsel in various suits involving importation of counterfeit and substandard goods into Uganda.
- Acting for Uganda National Examinations Board as retained external Counsel in various suits involving examination malpractice, falsification of results and defending actions of Judicial Review.