Lilian Mavis Tumwizere
Lilian Mavis holds an LL.B (Hons. Upper second) degree from Uganda Christian University, and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice at the Law Development Centre. She is an Associate with the firm and works with our intellectual property team.
Lilian Mavis acts for and advises clients on the creation, registration, maintenance, protection, commercialisation and enforcement of intellectual property rights in Uganda. She is interested in the field of commercial law with an emphasis on Intellectual Property Law and Corporate Governance.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Member, Uganda Law Society Intellectual Property Law Cluster
- Member, URSB IP Directorate Users’ Forum
- LL.B (Hons), Uganda Christian University, Uganda
- Dip. L.P (Bar Course), Law Development Centre, Uganda
- 2021 - DATE Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2020 - 2021 Legal Trainee, MMAKS Advocates
- 2018 - 2020 Associate, Muganwa, Nanteza & Co Advocates
- 2017 - 2018 Legal Trainee, Kazungu, Kakooza-Alinaitwe & Co Advocates
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Intellectual Property
- Corporate Commercial Advisory
- Acted in pursuing the trademark abandonment of the MOLPED trademark application by an infringer and subsequently applied and registered it for Hayat Kimya, the rightful proprietor.
- Acted for Bidco Uganda Limited, a leading manufacturer of vegetable oils products against opposition of their trademarks most notable being ‘‘Blue Magic’’ laundry soap trademark.
- Acted for Sustainable Agro Solutions S.A in defending their trademark against opposition by YARA International.
- Acting for major roofings company in defending their trademark from cancellation by a rival steel company.
- Involved in the day to day application, registration and maintenance of intellectual property rights for international and local proprietors.