Leonard is an Associate at the firm and works with the Commercial Transactions team. Leonard acts for and advises clients on mergers and acquisitions, corporate structuring, investment law and drafting of technical and complex commercial agreements and documents including shareholders’ agreements and sales and purchase agreements. He also holds an LL.B (Hons) degree from Makerere University Kampala and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice. Leonard is interested in the field of commercial law.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- 2010: LL.B (Hons), Makerere University, Uganda
- 2014: Dip. L.P (Bar Course), Law Development Centre, Uganda
- 2020 TO DATE: Associate, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
- 2018 to 2019: Senior Associate, Kampala Associated Advocates, Uganda
- 2014 to 2018: Associate, Kampala Associated Advocates, Uganda
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Corporate commercial
- Banking and Finance
- Acted as counsel for Total Outre Mer S.A on the regulatory aspects in the acquisition of Gulf Africa Petroleum Corporation, the sole shareholder of Gapco Uganda Limited.
- Acted as counsel for a client on the regulatory aspects of an acquisition of a conglomerate that operates in the East African region engaged in the supply of auto parts.
- Acted as counsel for Kolibri Kapital ASA (a Norwegian micro finance institution) and conducted a due diligence on Stromme Microfinance East Africa Limited, a Uganda incorporated micro finance company.
- Acted as counsel for a potential investor and conducted due diligence checks and prepared a due diligence report on Java House Coffee Shop Uganda Limited and Java Coffee and Tea Limited.
- Acted as counsel for Saipem International BV in structuring an acquisition of Habib Oil’s 49% shareholding in Saipem East Africa Limited by its subsidiary, Snamprogetti Netherlands BV.
- Part of the team that advised Jervois Mining (an Australian listed entity) in the acquisition of a stake in Eurasian Capital (a Canadian owned entity with interests in the Ugandan cobalt mining sector.
- Acted as counsel for British Education Fund as it acquired Uganda’s only online university valued at 800,000 Pounds Sterling.
- Acted as counsel for KKR on the acquisition of Unilever’s spreads business globally, but specifically in Uganda.
- Acted as counsel for a mobile telecommunications company on the potential acquisition of its radio frequency spectrum by another telecommunications company in a deal valued at USD. 16,000,000.
- Part of the team that advised National Insurance Corporation on its UGX. 4,009,000,000/= bonus issue at the Uganda Securities Exchange.
- Acted as counsel for Finasi SRL in the negotiation and structuring of a project involving the design, finance, construction, equipping and operation of a specialized hospital for the Government of Uganda.
- Acted as counsel for a petroleum products supplier on the acquisition of all the fuel stations owned by another local petroleum supplier, in a transaction worth USD. 10,000,000.
- Acted as counsel for East African Development Bank on the financing of the construction of a medical sundries manufacturing plant worth USD. 6,335,000.
- Acted as counsel for Standard Chartered Bank on a USD. 104,022,277 backed Term Loan Facility Agreement between SINOSURE and the Government of Uganda.
- Acted as counsel for Children of Rwenzori, an international NGO, on the construction of a malaria clinic, maternity ward and other assorted buildings in Kasese District worth over US$ 400,000.
- Member of the Technical Working Group that is drafting the first national policies on the regulation of digital assets and emerging technologies in Uganda.