James is a Senior Associate in the MMAKS litigation team. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Law from Uganda Christian University, Mukono and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre. James participated in a secondment at Hogan Lovells as part the Commonwealth Professional Fellowship.
He is an advocate of the High Court of Uganda, and a member of the Uganda Law Society and the East Africa Law Society.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- LL.B (Hons.), Uganda Christian University, Uganda
- 2008 – DATE Associate, MMAKS Advocates
areas of expertise
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Corporate and Commercial Law
- Acted as junior counsel in a Prerogative Order Application made by several Ugandan banks, which successfully quashed a trade law subsidiary legislation that imposed fees on top of those already imposed by the Ugandan Financial Institutions Act.
- Acted as junior counsel in an action by the Central Bank in relation the fraudulent acquisition and conveyance of securities encumbered by the plaintiffs to secure a debt facility of US$ 20 million.
- Acted as junior counsel in a Constitutional Petition brought against the Central Bank seeking declarations to the effect that the closure and winding up of a Ugandan bank was in contravention of the Ugandan Constitution.
- Acted as junior counsel for the Central Bank in the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court of Uganda to defend a suit involving the dismissal of an employee who was awarded compensation for involuntary or forced retirement and payment for contingent unaccrued benefits.
- Acted as junior counsel an action in the Commercial Court of Uganda for a Ugandan company enforcing a tax exemption relating to a US$ 18 million investment in an agro-processing plant and machinery.
- Acted as junior counsel in action by a mining company in which the applicant sought to set aside an award granting the client a 70% stake in a copper mine.
- Acted as junior counsel in an action to defend a contested VAT assessment of US$ 58 million levied on a thermal power generator.