Isaac is a Partner in the Firm’s litigation team. He focuses on areas of general commercial litigation with emphasis in debt recovery, employment, tax, insurance and commodity disputes. Isaac also has considerable experience of civil fraud and criminal matters and he has been involved in some of the leading cases in this area.
Isaac recently completed a secondment to the corporate and commercial department of Stephenson Harwood, London, England. He also participated in secondments at 3 Verulam Buildings and Essex Court Chambers both of which are leading barristers’ sets in London.
Isaac is currently a lecturer at the Law Development Centre, the Ugandan Bar School, where he conducts lectures in Civil Proceedings and Commercial Transactions.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Commonwealth Lawyers Association
- Member, East African Law Society
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Alumnus, International Law Institute
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre (Uganda)
- LL.B, Makerere University, Uganda
- 2013 - DATE Partner, MMAKS Advocates
- 2011 - 2013 Senior Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2007 - 2011 Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2005 - 2007 Senior Legal Assistant, MMAKS Advocates
- 2003 - 2005: Assistant, Mugerwa & Masembe Advocates
areas of expertise
- General Commercial Litigation (Including Commercial fraud)
- Commodity disputes
- Construction and Engineering
- Commercial Arbitration
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Shipping and Commodities
- General Criminal Law
- Representing a Respondent in the Supreme Court in a commercial dispute involving supply of drugs on credit, the value of the subject matter being in the excess of USD 30,000.
- Representing a Statutory body in a construction dispute in the High Court, the total value of the subject matter in excess of USD 20,000.
- Representing a road construction company in a stone pitching dispute at the High Court, the value of the subject matter being in excess of USD 20,000.
- Representing a Ugandan Company against the Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority in the COMESA Court of justice.
- Representing a leading Ugandan businessman at the High Court in a prosecution involving a sum in the region of USD 6 million.
- Representing a former Government employee at the High Court in a prosecution involving a sum in the excess of USD 9 million.