Isaac is a Partner in the Litigation team. He focuses on areas of general commercial litigation with emphasis in debt recovery, employment, tax, insurance, and commodity disputes. Isaac also has considerable experience of civil fraud and criminal matters, and he has been involved in some of the leading cases in this area.
Isaac completed a secondment to the corporate and commercial department, and the international arbitration department of Stephenson Harwood in London. He also participated in secondments at 3 Verulam Buildings and Essex Court Chambers, both of which are leading barristers’ sets in London.
Isaac was a former senior lecturer at the Law Development Centre of the Ugandan Bar School, where he conducted lectures in civil proceedings and commercial transactions.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, International Bar Association
- Member, Commonwealth Lawyers Association
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Alumnus, International Law Institute
- LL.B, Makerere University, Uganda
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- Postgraduate Diploma in Tax Practice, East African School of Taxation
- 2013 – DATE Partner, MMAKS Advocates
- 2010 – 2012 Senior Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2006 – 2010 Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2005 – 2011 Senior Assistant, MMAKS Advocates
- 2003 – 2005 Assistant, Mugerwa & Masembe Advocates
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- General Commercial Litigation (including Commercial fraud)
- Commodity disputes
- Construction and Engineering
- Commercial Arbitration
- Insurance and Reinsurance
- Shipping and Commodities
- General Criminal Law
- Representing a respondent in the Supreme Court of Uganda in a commercial dispute involving supply of drugs on credit, the value of the subject matter being in the excess of US$ 30,000.
- Representing a statutory body in a construction dispute in the High Court of Uganda, the total value of the subject matter in excess of US$ 20,000.
- Representing a road construction company in a stone pitching dispute at the High Court of Uganda, the value of the subject matter being in excess of US$ 20,000.
- Representing a Ugandan company against the Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority in the COMESA Court of Justice.
- Representing a leading Ugandan businessman at the High Court of Uganda in a prosecution involving a sum in the region of US$ 6 million.
- Representing a former Government employee at the High Court of Uganda in a prosecution involving a sum in the excess of US$ 9 million.