Gulam is an Associate within the Firm’s Litigation Department. His focus areas of practice are contractual disputes, banking and finance, anti-fraud litigation, property disputes, appellate litigation, and employment.
He has previously worked as a Consultant for the East Africa Law Society and the Business Law Clinic at Makerere University. While studying for the Bar, Gulam clerked for a Justice of the Uganda Supreme Court and carried out research at the African Development Law Institute.
Gulam holds an LL.B (Hons) degree from Makerere University and a First-Class Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre where he was the recipient of the Attorney General’s Award.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Member, Employment Law Alliance
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- LL.B (Hons), Makerere University, Uganda
- MAR 2023 – DATE Associate, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
- AUG 2021 – FEB 2023 Legal Trainee, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
- JAN 2021 - JUN 2021 Consultant, East Africa Law Society
- 2020 - 2021 Judicial Law Clerk, Supreme Court of Uganda
- AUG 2020 - SEP 2020 Consultant, Business Law Clinic, Makerere University
- 2019 - 2020 Associate, African Development Law Institute, Uganda
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Contractual disputes
- Anti-fraud litigation
- Property disputes
- Banking and finance
- Debt recovery
- Acting for the Central Bank of Uganda in a US$1m procurement-related dispute before the High Court of Uganda.
- Acting for Mehta Electricals in a US$1.3m breach of contract claim against Roko Construction Limited.
- Acting for SYOVA Seed (U) Ltd in defence of a US$533,000 product liability claim.
- Acting for Exim Bank Uganda, National Bank of Commerce, and other various entities in a number of labour disputes before the Industrial Court.
- Part of a team acting for a leading South African development finance institution on the enforcement in Uganda of a US$156m foreign arbitral award against a defaulting borrower Hotel Group.
- Acting for Norvik and Kampala Hospitals in a US$400,000 debt recovery claim against a local HMO.
- Acting for BestPack Uganda Ltd in numerous debt recoveries valued at approximately US$500,000.
- Part of a team acting for three high-networth individuals in appellate litigation concerning the enforceability of guarantees argued to have been discharged for fraud, material variation and non-disclosure, the matter being valued at approximately US$5m.
- Acting for various individual clients in relation to divorce, child custody, and property succession matters.