Gulam holds an LL.B (Hons) degree from Makerere University and a First Class Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre where he was the recipient of the Attorney General’s Award. He works with the Litigation Department at MMAKS Advocates.
Gulam’s major areas of practice are Contractual Disputes, Family Law and Estates Planning/Management, Employment, Land Matters, and Debt Recovery.
Gulam has previously worked as a Consultant for the East Africa Law Society and the Business Law Clinic at Makerere University. He has also previously worked with the Supreme Court of Uganda and the African Development Law Institute.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Member, Employment Law Alliance
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- LL.B (Hons), Makerere University, Uganda
- AUG 2021 - DATE Legal Trainee, MMAKS Advocates, Uganda
- JAN 2021 - JUN 2021 Consultant, East Africa Law Society
- 2020 - 2021 Judicial Law Clerk, Supreme Court of Uganda
- AUG 2020 - SEP 2020 Consultant, Business Law Clinic, Makerere University
- 2019 - 2020 Associate, African Development Law Institute, Uganda
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Debt recovery
- Family Law & Estate Planning
- Land Law
- Contract Law
- Part of a team acting for BestPack Uganda LTD in numerous debt recoveries valued at approximately US$ 450,000.
- Part of a team acting for TATA (U) LTD in numerous debt recoveries valued at approximately US$ 400,000.
- Part of a team acting for Mehta Electricals in a US$ 1.3m breach of contract claim against Roko Construction Limited.
- Part of a team acting for Syova Seeds (U) Ltd in defence of a US$ 533,000 product liability claim.
- Assisting in a litigation-based and mortgage-related recovery of US$ 225,000 for the Exim Bank of Uganda from a local borrower and guarantor.
- Assisting in a litigation-based debt recovery of US$ 300,000 for two leading hospitals against a local HMO.
- Part of a team advising a leading South African development finance institution on the enforcement in Uganda of a US$ 156 million foreign arbitral award against a defaulting borrower Hotel Group.
- Part of a team advising the Norwegian Refugee Council on the law governing Communal Land Trusts in Uganda.
- Acting for various individual and institutional clients in employment matters before various Labour Offices and the Industrial Court of Uganda.
- Acting for various individual clients in relation to divorce, child custody, and property succession matters.