Marion is a Legal Assistant with the Corporate Advisory Team. She specialises in equity, capital markets, corporate restructurings, projects, infrastructure and general corporate and commercial advisory. She is also involved in the Firm’s Alternative Dispute Resolution practice.
Marion holds a Second Upper Class (Hons) Bachelor’s degree from Makerere University, Kampala and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre. She is currently pursuing a course in Securities and Investments at the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment.
Membership In Professional Societies
- Law Society of Uganda
- Law Society of East Africa
- 2017 Admitted to the Ugandan Bar
- 2016 Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre, Uganda
- 2015 Bachelor of Laws (Hons.), Makerere University
- 2015- DATE: Legal Assistant: MMAKS Advocates
- April - July 2015 Clerkship: MMAKS Advocates
- July - August 2013 Internship: KOB Advocates and Solicitors
Areas Of Expertise
- Corporate M&A
- Corporate Advisory
- Capital Markets
- Oil and Gas
- Energy, Natural and Renewable Resources
- Curently advising the International Finance Corporation (IFC) on the structuring, development and construction of a 77km high-class dual carriageway alternative road between Kampala and Jinja (the Kampala-Jinja Expressway) under a public private partnership arrangement. We were involved in conducting a due diligence on the laws applicable to the project and advising on the optimum project structure. This is the first road project in Uganda to be implemented under the public private partnership model and has a transaction value of USD 800,000,000.
- Advising in a transaction involving a lending of USD 24,000,000 by a syndicate of 3 banks namely Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited, Standard Chartered Bank Uganda Limited and Uganda Development Bank Limited to Kakira Sugar Limited. This involved conducting an extensive due diligence on Kakira Sugar Limited and advising on the regulatory framework for the conduct of an ethanol production business in Uganda. We were also required to prepare and review the finance documents in respect of the transaction valued at USD 8,500,000, Ug. Shs. 3,300,000,000 and the Uganda Shillings equivalent of USD 7,000,000.
- Advised Oman Trading International on its acquisition of a significant minority equity interest in Hass Petroleum Trading GR (DMCC) Limited. This involved conducting a due diligence on Hass Petroleum (Uganda) Limited, the Ugandan subsidiary of Hass Petroleum Trading GR (DMCC) Limited and advising on the regulatory framework for the conduct of Hass Petroleum (Uganda) Limited’s petroleum business in Uganda.
- Advised Kuramo Capital Management LLC on its acquisition of a significant majority equity interest in Transcentury Limited, a holding company with various subsidiaries in East Africa. We conducted due diligences on the Ugandan subsidiaries of Transacentury Limited namely Civicon Limited, Tanelec Uganda Limited, East African Cables Limited and Avery East Africa Limited and advised on the requisite regulatory framework.
- Advised TA Associates Management LP on its acquisition of a minority investment in Interswitch Nigeria, a company involved in providing bank interconnectivity services. We conducted a due diligence on Interswitch East Africa (Uganda) Limited, the Ugandan subsidiary of Interswitch Nigeria and also advised on the regulatory approvals required by Interswitch East Africa (Uganda) Limited in Uganda.
- Advised SN Power AS on its intended acquisition of Bujagali Energy Limited, a company engaged in hydro power generation. This involved the establishment of 3 special purpose vehicles, preparation and review of the corporate and finance documents in a transaction valued at approximately USD 90,000,000.
- Advised on whether the Government of Uganda had released control of Libyan owned entities in Uganda following the lifting of the United Nations sanctions imposed on the Libyan government in 2012. This involve conducting a due diligence on the companies held by Libyan owned House of Dawda in Uganda.
- Currently advising Eaton Towers Uganda Limited, a telecommunications company involved in the establishment and leasing of telecom towers and masts in its amalgamation with its subsidiary, Uganda Towers Limited. This involved preparation of a legal opinion on the amalgamation and advising on the tax structure and implications of the amalgamation.
- Advised PDM Uganda Limited on the establishment of Infinity Courts, a multi-million condominium development in Kampala. This involved advising on the concept of off plan sales under the Condominium Property Act and preparation of the requisite documents for the sale of the condominiums.
- Advising Ascent Point Investments Limited, a joint venture company on the establishment of the Edge Apartments, a 160 unit multi-million condominium development in Kampala. We were required to advise on the off plan sales model under the Condominium Property Act in addition to preparing the requisite documents for the sale of the condominiums.
- Conducting various due diligences on behalf of AgDevCo Uganda Limited, a company that supports agriculture businesses that have a linkage to small scale and emergent farmers in Northern Uganda. She has conducted various due diligences on a number of companies like NASECO (1996) Limited, North Bukedi Cotton Company Limited, Afro Kai Limited, Fine Spinners Uganda Limited, Western Uganda Cotton Limited, Clean Air Corporation, Talian Company Limited and MM& W Limited, e.t.c inorder to facilitate AgDevCo Uganda Limited’s investment decision in these companies.
- Conducted a legal due diligence on Emerging Power Uganda Limited, in a financing involving a charge over the shares in Emerging Power Uganda Limited by ResponsAbility Renewable Energy Holding Limited.
- Handles a number of the Firm’s retainer clients and is responsible for offering ongoing day-to-day legal advice in connection with their businesses, namely EFC Uganda Limited (MDI), a microfinance deposit taking institution, Gras Savoye Insurance Brokers Uganda Limited, an insurance brokerage company, GEMS Education Limited, an international school, Cavendish University Uganda Limited, a private university, KONE Uganda Limited a company engaged in the importation, marketing, sales, installation, modernization, repair and after-sales service of elevators, escalators and moving walkways in Uganda, Kampala Hospital Limited, a private hospital, Awamo Uganda Limited, a company involved in the provision of web hosting and data processing services to micro finance institutions and savings and credit organisation and Maersk Agency Uganda Limited a company involved in the marine and logistics business.
- Involved in the incorporation and set up of a number of companies in Uganda ( Awamo Uganda limited, GEMS Low Cost Schools Uganda Limited, Lintons Beauty World Uganda Limited, Style Industries Uganda Limited, Crestech Limited, Sterk Construction Limited e.t.c ) in addition to the preparation of legal opinions and articles on insurance, capital markets, oil and gas and other general corporate matters.