Kasim holds an LL.B (Hons. Upper second) degree from Makerere University, Kampala and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice at the Law Development Centre. He is an Associate with the firm and works with our Litigation and Real Estate & Property teams. He focuses on Property, Islamic Banking and Finance, Immigration, Employment, Real Estate and general commercial litigation.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate, High Court of Uganda
- Member of the Uganda Law Society
- Member of the East Africa Law Society
- 2016: Advocate of the High Court of Uganda
- 2015: Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre
- 2014: LL.B (Hons.), Makerere University
- 2019 to date: Associate, MMAKS Advocates date
- 2015- 2018 Legal Assistant, MMAKS Advocates
- April 2015 to July 2015: Clerkship Student, MMAKS Advocates
- 2014 to 2015: Legal Trainee, Alaka & Company Advocates
areas of expertise
- Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Property and Real Estate
- Islamic Banking and Finance
- Immigration law
- Commercial Arbitration
- Acting for the Aga Khan Foundation in a matter involving acquisition of prime land in Nakawa from the Government of Uganda for setting up a state of art Aga Khan University teaching hospital at an estimated cost of USD 100 Million.
- Acting for PDM Uganda Limited, a Ugandan top real estate developer in a matter involving setting up a state of the art Infinity Court condominium apartments at Kololo, Kampala valued at USD 12 Million which involved advising on the project structure and the notion of off plan property sales.
- Acting for GEMS Cambridge, an International School in Kampala in a matter involving reviewing a Development and Lease Agreement with Nationwide Properties Limited for the construction of a new boarding facility valued at USD 4 Million.
- Handling the conveyancing of the National Housing & Construction Company Ltd (NHCC) on an exclusive basis including preparation of lease agreements and sale agreements and effecting property transfers in respect of its condominium developments in Bugolobi, Naalya, Makerere, Bukoto in Kampala.
- Acting for Bestpack Uganda Limited, a Ugandan subsidiary of Safe pack Kenya Limited on its purchase of various properties in Kampala from NC Beverages Ltd and other Vendors in excess of USD 5 Million where our assignments included participating in negotiation, structuring the acquisition, drafting documentation, conducting due diligence on the vendors and registering the transfers.
- Acting for Bottle Closure Limited, a Uganda subsidiary of Metal Crowns Limited on its purchase of a prime property in Kampala from Sumaria Properties Limited in excess of USD 2 Million where our assignments included participating in negotiation, structuring the acquisition, drafting documentation, conducting due diligence on the vendors and registering the transfers.
- Acting for Lake Perch Limited and Wild Perch Limited on acquisition of two fish processing plants in Uganda from Tampa Fisheries Limited and Oakwood Limited in excess of USD 5 Million where our assignments included participating in negotiation, structuring the acquisition, reviewing and drafting documentation, conducting due diligence on the vendors and registering the transfers.
- Acting for Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited, Barclays Bank Uganda Limited and Diamond Trust Bank in the day to day preparation and perfection of securities.
- Advising Goldman Sachs International Bank, London on various queries relating to the Uganda financial legal regime.
- Advising several corporate entities, including banks, NGOs, multinational companies and international entities on employment and immigration matters on an ongoing basis.
- Processing immigration facilities including work permits, special and dependent passes for Fluor Intercontinental Limited, KONE East Africa Limited, Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Clinton Health, Bollore Africa Logistics Limited, Give Directly, Internation Aids Vaccine Initiative (IAVI), Volcanoes Safaries Limited, American Refugee Committe (ARC), Awamo GmbH, Mylan Industries Limited, MASH Limited, Development International Desjardins-DID- EFC Uganda Limited, Tech Mahindra Limited, Open Society Initiative for East Africa (OSIEA) XSML Capital Uganda and several other individual clients and corporate entities on an ongoing basis.
- Acting successfully as legal assistant for Stanbic Bank in Supreme Court Civil Appeal No. 5 Of 2016 - Hilda Musinguzi Vs Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited in which the Supreme Court of Uganda reaffirmed the unfettered right of an employer to terminate an employment relationship by either giving the employee notice or paying in lieu thereof and that it is immaterial that the payment in lieu of notice is made after termination of the employment relationship.
- Acting successfully as legal assistant for DFCU Bank (in a former Crane Bank liability matter) in the Court of Appeal Civil Application No. 67 of 2014 Crane Bank Limited Vs Amos February and 2 others where the Court of Appeal struck out the notice of appeal and entire Respondents’ appeal for missing essential steps.
- Representing several individual clients and corporate entities including Diamond Trust Bank Uganda Limited, Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited, Centenary Rural Development Bank, Barclays Bank Uganda Limited, National Water & Sewerage Corporation, NGOs, multinational companies and international entities in the High Court of Uganda and subordinate courts thereto in high profile litigation matters on an ongoing basis