Esther holds an LLB (Hons) degree from Uganda Christian University, Mukono and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre. She previously worked with Tibeingana and Co. Advocates and the credit and documentation team of DFCU Bank Limited.
She is an associate with the Firm and works with the Property, Banking and Finance Team. She focuses on Banking, Finance and Property.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Advocate of the High Court Of Uganda
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East Africa Law Society
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Law Development Centre (Uganda)
- LLB (Hons), Uganda Christian University, Mukono
- 2016 - DATE Associate MMAKS Advocates
- 2015 - 2016 Credit and Documentation Team of DFCU Bank
- 2014- 2015 Legal Assistant, Tibeingana & Co. Advocates
areas of expertise
- Banking and Finance
- Acting for Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa (IDC) in a re financing of USD 2,700,000 for completion of the construction of the Pearl of Africa Hotel, Kampala in which we were involved in the review of a South African Law facility agreement, preparation of Ugandan law securities including a mortgage, debenture, guarantees, deeds of assignment, charge over shares, charge over accounts and providing a legal opinion on the capacity, validity and enforceability of the documentation from a Ugandan law perspective.
- Acting as transaction counsel to Stanbic Bank, Standard Chartered Bank and Uganda Development Bank for a syndicated loan of USD 25 million, to finance the procurement, installation and construction of a distillery for the production of ethanol and financing short term loans to Kakira Sugar Limited. The transaction involved review of an English law facility agreement, drafting of security documents including mortgages, a debenture, Intercreditor agreement, guarantees, reviewing and commenting on the licences and approvals to be obtained under Ugandan law for the transactions, issuing a legal opinion on the capacity validity and enforceability of the documentation from a Ugandan law perspective. The transaction also involved a due diligence on the borrowers and reviewing and commenting on the licences and approvals to be obtained under Ugandan law for the respective projects.
- Acting as transaction counsel to the lenders for a syndicated loan of USD 40,000,000 million, to finance a 25MW Cogeneration Facility. The transaction involved review of a Facilities Agreement governed by English law and preparation of security documents.
- Acting as local counsel to an education investment firm on the potential acquisition of a leading private educational institution, with a transaction value of USD 21 million which involved carrying out a high level due diligence on the target company, identifying any potential risks to the transaction and making recommendations on how to mitigate these risks.
- Involved in writing legal opinions on different legal matters including stamp duty related issues, land ownership, the tenures system in Uganda, the banking regime in Uganda and online payments and cross border remittance services.
- Involved in the review of different types of agreements including tenancy agreements, lease agreements, facility agreements, guarantee agreements and employment contracts for both local and foreign clients.
- Involved in the preparation and registration of securities on a day to day basis for some of the top commercial banks in Uganda and Kenya and keeping the banks updated on the status of their matters.