Doreen is an Associate in the Banking and Finance Practice. She advises numerous entities including banks, funds and development finance institutions in their local lending transactions in Uganda. She has been involved in a number of cross border financings and infrastructure projects. In addition to her banking and finance expertise, Doreen actively advises an array of clients on labour laws in Uganda.
Doreen has a keen interest in Fintech and emerging technologies like artificial intelligence, virtual currencies, and big data. She believes that Fintech has the potential to solve the question of financial inclusion and she advises clients in the fintech and payment space.
She has in the past, been seconded to Anjarwalla & Khanna Advocates in Nairobi, the 4-time winner of the African Legal Awards, “African Law Firm of the Year – Large Practice” award for a 3 months’ placement programme.
Doreen holds a Second Upper Class (Hons.) Bachelor’s degree from Makerere University and a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre. Doreen completed the International Introduction to Securities and Investment course offered by the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment. She is currently pursuing a Masters in Business Administration at the Edinburg Business School, Heriot- Watt University via correspondence.
Doreen is a mental health advocate. She is also passionate about women empowerment and development.
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES
- Member, Uganda Law Society
- Member, East African Law Society
- Committee Member, Female Lawyers Committee, Uganda Law Society
- Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment
- 2018- 2018 international introduction to Securities and Investment
- 2007 - 2011 LLB (Hons) Makerere University
- 2011 - 2012 Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- 2017 to date Associate, MMAKS Advocates
- 2017-2017 External Examiner, Law Development Center
- 2014 - 2016 Legal Assistant MMAKS Advocates
- 2013- 2014 Legal Assistant, Nyanzi, Kiboneka, Mbabazi Advocates
areas of expertise
- Banking & Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Fintech and Legal Technology
awards & accolades
- Africa Legal Support Facility Academy Scholarship
- Mentor, DFCU Women in Leadership Programme
- International Lawyers for Africa (ILFA) Secondee 2019
- Advising Societe De Promotion Et De Participation Pour La Cooperation Economique S.A (PROPARCO) and Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij voor OntwikkelingsLanden N.V (FMO) on a USD 30 Million senior unsecured loan to Development Finance Company of Uganda Limited. My role involved review of the English law governed facility agreement, conducting a due diligence on the Borrower and issuing a legal opinion on the enforceability of the documents.
- Advising GemCorp LLP in a financing to Jumo World Limited formerly known as AFB Mauritius Limited in the sum of USD 25,000,000 including preparation of the local law security document being a charge over the shares of the Ugandan subsidiary, reviewing an English law governed Facility Agreement from a Ugandan law perspective, issuing a legal opinion in respect of the transaction and assisting with the collection of the Ugandan required condition precedent documents.
- Advising two international banks on a USD 114,000,000 financing to a multinational entity. My role involves reviewing an English law facility agreement, reviewing and collecting condition precedent documents and issuing a legal opinion on the enforceability of the guarantee.
- Advising two international lenders on their financing of USD 12.3 M to a local company for the construction of a solar power plant in Uganda. My role involved reviewing an English law facility agreement, an implementation agreement, a direct agreement and a power purchase agreement, drafting of security documents including mortgages, debentures and charges over shares, review and comment on the licenses and approvals to be obtained under Ugandan law to operationalize the transaction and issuing a legal opinion on the capacity, validity and enforceability of the documentation from a Ugandan law perspective.
- Advising Mammoth Foam Africa in a financing to Euroflex Limited in the sum of USD 4,000,000 including preparation of the local law security document being a charge over shares and issuing a legal opinion on the vaildity of the charge over shares.
- Acting for a multinational entity in a financing of USD 50, 000,000 to a listed entity for purposes of lending to a local bank in Uganda. My role involved reviewing the facilities agreement and advising on conversion of part of the facility into equity.
- Acting for a multinational private equity firm in its financing of USD 12M to a multinational entity and its subsidiary in Uganda. My role involved reviewing the facility agreement, Ugandan security documents and providing general advice and assistance on Ugandan law matters in respect to the finance and security documents.
- Advising Google Inc., an American multinational technology company specializing in Internet-related services and products, in connection to the legality of their global anti-harassment policy, including providing legal advice on the laws on sexual harassment in Uganda and reviewing Google’s Global Anti-harassment policy to ensure that it is in line with Ugandan law.
- Acting for Sanlam, a leading insurance company in Uganda regarding its amalgamation with Lion Assurance and advising on the restructuring of employees in both entities.